Sunday, January 21, 2007

Divas

One of my Christmas presents was Renée Fleming's Homage: The Age of the Diva. It is luxurious, wonderful, singing, with some of the arias quite unknown to me (and I'd have thought to many opera fans). A few of Fleming's interpretations are perhaps a bit over the top -- there is a stunningly sustained note near the end of "Vissi d'arte" which is awesome but ... Though it certainly does make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, so let's not get too purist!

The CD insert booklet has a little about Fleming's great predecessors in this repertoire. One name stood out for me. For my mother has a copy of Kobbé's Complete Opera Book, given her as a girl: the evocative black and white photographs include a publicity photo of the Moravian soprano Maria Jeritza in her costume as Turandot. That picture made a deep impression on me when I was small! Jeritza was one of Puccini's favourite singers; but I've only ever heard short clips of her voice. I feel an internet search coming on ...

No comments: